Monday, January 29, 2007

Making a new stained glass flower

I've selected 2 colors of glass. Notice how many different colors are in the glass on the right.
This glass is ready to grind after I cut it. Sorry I didn't get a pic of me cutting it.

On the grinder taking off all sharp edges.



Here I am foiling the glass. This allows the solder to adhere to it and holds 2 pieces next to each other together.




I've finished laying them out and am ready to solder it now.




I've got some of it tacked in place. I've decided to raise the glass in the center of the flower for added interest. I'll come back and smooth out the lines.




I've finished soldering it and added decorative beads which you can't really see right now. I also added some copper swirls. It's still silver from the original solder color. I'm going to dip it in patina to turn it copper.





Here it is dipped in copper. I'll show the finished piece, waxed and in the window with the chain attached to it in another post.







Hello,








It's been a couple of days since I've updated this. My plan was to make a new item and then show the steps along the way of the process it takes to make a stained glass piece. So I took pictures along the way. I just thought it would be of interest to some of you. Lots of people ask, how do I stain the glass? Well, glass is made in glass factorys in several different colors. All I do is cut it, grind it, foil it solder it and then hang it in the window. Here are the pictures of the flower I just made. I still have to wax it so that it preserves the shine and finish to the piece otherwise is oxidizes, kind of like lime deposits. I'm trying to show them in the order each step is done in.
















No comments: